Don't miss your opportunity to apply for the APTR-CDC Fellowship - Interprofessional Education 2014-15
- Interprofessional Education Approach to Develop Public Health Practice & Policy
Sponsoring CDC Center:
- Center for Surveillance, Epidemiology and Laboratory Services (CSELS); Division of Scientific Education, Professional Development (DSEPD); Public Health Practice and Policy Branch (PHPPB)
Project Focus Area:
- The project focus area will be workforce development/education and training. The APTR fellow will be assigned to the PHPP Branch which houses 4 fellowships: Prevention Effectiveness (i.e., Economics focus); Preventive Medicine Fellowship; Public Health Informatics Fellowship Program; and Presidential Management Fellowship (i.e., management & leadership). The project will entail exposure to 4 fellowships that provide applied public health practice and policy experiences to CDC fellows.
Center Background and Objectives:
- DSEPD [www.cdc.gov/osels/scientific_edu] provides leadership in public health training and education, and manages innovative, evidence-based programs to prepare the health workforce to meet public health challenges of the 21st century.
Established in 1942, the Association for Prevention Teaching and Research (APTR) is a national membership organization for faculty and academic institutions advancing the education of physicians and other health professionals in prevention and population health.
Learn more here
Job Posting: Director Business Development at Pharmacyclics
The Director of Business Development, In conjunction with the Executive Vice President of Business Development and other cross-functional business partners is responsible for the identification, pursuit and acquisition of strategic business opportunities including mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, alliances, joint ventures, and licensing agreements that fit within the overall corporate strategy, business plan and product portfolio. In conjunction with senior leadership assists in the development of short and long-range strategic plans for Pharmacyclics.
Collaborates cross-functionally with team members (Research, Development, Regulatory, Commercial, Finance, Legal and other colleagues as appropriate) in the objective scientific and business assessment of 3rd party candidates in support of business opportunities. In conjunction with executive leadership, the position assists in the development and facilitation of product development strategic plan, identifying issues, and assisting in the implementation of solutions and the success of projects.
Learn more here
Presented by the Wharton Alumni Club of Philadelphia with co-hosts: Wharton Alumni Relations, Wharton MBA Career Management Office and University of Pennsylvania Career Services OfficeWharton Career Planning Workshop
Saturday, September 20, 2014
Huntsman Hall – University of Pennsylvania Campus
8 am to 2 pm
- Individual Profiles – Organizations Recognizing “Fit” Critical for Organizational Success
- Job Search Portfolio - Develop Targeted Resumes and Cover Letters
- Building Your Own Board of Directors – Panel Discussion
- How to Successfully Sell Your Most Important Product – YOU!
- Networking for Job Search & Career Success
- The Role of Social Media
- Wharton Career Resource Overview
This event is open to Wharton Alumni and Penn Alumni and Guests or Non- Wharton/Penn Alumni.
Learn more and register here
Job Posting: IRB Review Board Chair (Medical)
Western Institutional Review Board (Puyallup, Washington)
Are you looking for an opportunity to work for a company with a global impact? Western IRB is a dynamic organization dedicated to leading the way in the delivery of ethical review services for the research community. We have an exciting opportunity for a medical professional to join our team as an IRB Review Board Chair/Vice Chair in Puyallup Washington.
Provide the highest possible support to the organizations ethical review and research safety programs in areas and issues requiring medical training and judgment. This most commonly involves the Institutional Review Board, but may involve areas such as biosafety, data safety, and others.
Manage Ethical Review Board Meetings:
* Chair Board meetings to ensure compliance with federal and state laws and IRB policies and procedures and facilitate discussion from Board Members. Provide scientific, ethical and regulatory support and advice to Board members
* Assist in resolution of disagreements between Board members.
* Analyze and present protocols and other agenda items at Board meetings to facilitate informed decision making, and to set standards and role model effective presentation and discussion for all Board members.
* Analyze research submissions, identify problems and issues, collect additional information or request corrections, and draft memoranda.
* Research, draft, and present reports to the Board on a wide range of topics.
* Convey the Boards concerns with the research submission by composing written correspondence to investigators and sponsors.
* Identify and assist in the resolution of problematic review items, through interaction with investigators and other IRB clients,
* Perform or assist in performance of expedited review, making appropriate decisions on behalf of the Board, and review of unanticipated problems, research subject complaints involving medical issues, etc.
* Advise clients of applicable scientific information and regulations pertaining to human subject research, both orally and in writing.
* Analyze requests for exemption determinations and provide formal written opinions
* Provide guidance to clients to help resolve scientific, ethical and regulatory issues and difficulties
Scientific and Regulatory Research
* Research current scientific understanding and regulations pertaining to human subject safety and research-related issues. Read more »
There are many types of masters degrees in the area of clinical research. Let's take a look at some of these:
The NIH-Duke Master's Program in Clinical Research
is a collaboration between the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Clinical Center and Duke University Medical Center. This collaborative training program between the NIH Clinical Center and the Duke University School of Medicine provides formalized academic training in the quantitative and methodological principles of clinical research for health professionals at the NIH. Designed primarily for physicians who are training for careers in clinical research, the program offers formal courses in research design, research management, medical genomics, and statistical analysis. Courses for this program are offered at the Clinical Center by means of video-conferencing from Duke or on-site by adjunct faculty.
In NJ at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, you can pursue a Masters of Science in Clinical Trial Sciences
. This program is housed within the Department of Health Informatics in the Rutger's School of Health Related Professions. It is a 36 academic credit program consisting of a 9 credit core along with 27 credits of specialization courses and electives. The core curriculum is specifically designed to be broad enough in its scope to prepare students to work in a variety of job roles related to clinical trials. The content of the core includes the design, initiation, and monitoring of clinical drug trials, federal and international regulations governing drug development, ethics in clinical trials, and a graduate project individualized to the students’ interest and job responsibilities.
Temple University offers a Master of Science in Clinical Research and Translational Medicine
through a collaboration between the College of Health Professions and Social Work and the School of Medicine.
The University of Maryland School of Medicine offers a Master of Science in Clinical Research
which is a track in the Master of Science program in Epidemiology. It is designed specifically to meet the needs of the clinician or clinician-in-training by providing a combination of course work and research experiences needed for a successful career in clinical investigation. The curriculum provides students with a thorough understanding of clinical research methodology, biostatistics, and research ethics and will provide participants with the necessary skills to conduct independent clinical research, to teach, and to mentor others.
Washington University offers a Master of Science in Clinical Research Management
. This program is designed for experienced professionals working in academic research centers or private industry who seek greater depth and breadth of study in the science and business of clinical research. The Master of Science in Clinical Research Management is awarded by University College, the evening and continuing education division of Arts & Sciences. The program is offered in collaboration with the Washington University School of Medicine, and more specifically, the Center for Applied Research Sciences and the Institute of Clinical & Translational Sciences.
Interested in an online master's degree in clinical research?
Drexel offers an MS in Clinical Research for Health Professionals
. The MS in Clinical Research for Health Professionals is designed for health professionals interested in pursuing careers in clinical research. Coursework from the Clinical Research Organization and Management program is combined with mentored research activities conducted at the student’s home institution or company.
Arizona State University offers an online Master of Science in Clinical Research Management
. This program is for health care professionals nationally and internationally for advanced education as clinical research professionals in the diverse and complex clinical research industry.